P.E., President & Partner
Since 2004, Colin has worked on behalf of owners to execute large scale developments in commercial, industrial and municipal infrastructure construction. Colin started his career at McShane Construction where he oversaw the construction of a $36M luxury apartment development in Downers Grove, IL.
Colin then spent eight years working on behalf of municipal governments in Illinois and Wisconsin, finishing his career in the public sector as Director of Public Works for the City of Monroe, WI. In that role, Colin served as Construction Manager as Agent on behalf of the City of Monroe to manage the $25M reconstruction of their waste-water treatment facility. During the project construction, Colin identified engineering design flaws which would have cost the owner an additional $1.5 Million, saving 6% of the total project cost.
Colin’s experience working on behalf of municipal governments has made him extremely effective at advocating on behalf of his clients with government agencies while ensuring projects meet code requirements. Colin maintains close relationships with the public works community, serving as Director at Large for the American Public Works Association (APWA) Illinois Chapter, Northwest Branch since 2014.
In 2016 Colin was recruited by Scandroli Construction to manage large-scale construction of the $32 Million hangar at the Chicago Rockford International Airport, as well as the expansion of the airport’s terminal building. In that role Colin executed cost savings measures including:
- Provided constructability review for terminal expansion plans and project schedule; his input saved 6 months of project schedule and over $75,000 in general conditions costs; and
- Developed a $1.2 Million (5.4%) cost reduction plan for the terminal expansion to keep the project under budget while maintaining full facility functionality.
Colin founded Imperien in 2018 based on the core values of:
- Protecting our clients’ interests
- Quality construction
- Partnering with our clients and vendors
Colin holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering from Valparaiso University and is a proud graduate of Auburn High School of Rockford.
As partner in Imperien, Carrie identifies opportunities to pursue financial incentives for projects from government agencies. In addition to supporting the business operations as Partner of Imperien, Carrie is also President and Owner of Zethmayr LLC, a location strategy firm that helps companies optimize facility expansions with site selection and incentive negotiation services.
Before starting Zethmayr and joining Imperien, Carrie served for two years as Northern Stateline Region Manager for the State of Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity. There, she managed the region’s business attraction, retention and expansion efforts on behalf of the State of Illinois, working alongside public, private and non-profit partners, the business community, global site selectors and companies considering first-time investment in Illinois.
Prior to joining the State of Illinois, Carrie served as Executive Director of Trade & Investment for the Rockford Area Economic Development Council where she spent seven years marketing the Rockford Region and managing business attraction projects. Carrie directly engaged projects resulting in 3,000+ new regional jobs & $300+ Million in capital investment.
On behalf of her clients, Carrie has executed:
- Foreign Trade Zone – saved companies up to $2 Million in annual duties & fees
- Export development – consulted 100+ Illinois companies on export compliance, market research, trade finance and logistics directly resulting in $17+ Million in export sales
- Cross-cultural relationship development – with language skills in Mandarin Chinese and French
- Financial Incentive Negotiation – negotiated over $120 Million in financial incentives, averaging over $5 Million per company and $45,000 per job created Foreign Direct Investment – facilitated $1+ Billion of capital investment ($350+ Million from non-U.S. companies)
- Partner identification – formalized agreements with Swedish and Korean trade agencies, secured seven visits from European companies to meet potential joint-venture partners
Carrie holds a Global MBA from Thunderbird School of Global Management, and a Bachelor’s degree in Modern Languages and Asian Studies from Beloit College. In 2006 and 2007 she lived in Jinan, China where she studied Chinese language and culture.